Saturday, November 19, 2005

Some of my young friends


I am not without darling children in my life here in Moldova. At the OM Centre, there is currently a ten-week program running called 'Challenge into Missions'. This is a leadership training program for young adults and leaders from within Moldova as well as from other places. The students come to Chisinau for two weeks, then go out on a mission outreach in the villages and towns for two weeks. After that, it is one week back for debriefing and more instruction, then out again for two weeks. Currently the 20 students are away but when they are around (and they all stay at the Centre), the place is very lively. And in this group, there are two families with children so part of the responsibility of the group taking the second level of the program is to help with childcare for three beautiful little girls.
These little girls always greet me when I arrive and speak to me in Romanian as if they expect me to understand them. One day I learned the word for 'read' and that was the very day Abbie handed me a book and asked me to read it to her. I learned a lot of new vocabulary reading Noah and the Ark to these darlings.



I also have a language contact who has a beautiful daughter about 1 1/2 years old. I enjoy visiting them, too - just to practise my Romanian. Liuda (the mom) is very patient with me and gently corrects my mistakes or tells me a better way to say what I want to say. Every week I hope I will be able to communicate on a more substantial level not only with the Mom but also with the child.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:39 p.m.

    Cuuuuuuuuuute pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:20 p.m.

    Hi, Barb. Thanks for sharing your adventures in Moldova. The pictures are great! I so admire your courage in going to learn a new language, and helping people in your new place in so many ways. I saw in your profile that you are a Scorpio, like me and John Torrance. Happy birthday, whenever it was! We sang HB to John on Saturday nmight at the congreg. dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:00 a.m.

    Barb, the pictures today of the children are just absolutely adorable!!

    Carol F.

    ReplyDelete