Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Peeling Onions for Jesus


Have I told you about Sora Maria? She is the wonderful woman who cooks the meals for us at the OM Centre, and she is my first language contact. Two or three mornings a week I go to help her in the kitchen so that we can speak Romanian together and she can help me learn to say things properly. It’s very different than a lesson in that the focus is on comprehension and communication rather than grammar.
I remember my first time or two with her, it was very frustrating as I didn’t understand anything she said. It was pretty much a 'point and tell the word' thing for a few weeks. Now I am pleased to realize that we are actually having conversations and getting to the point where we can even joke together. Conversations that are serious, such as how each of us lost our respective husband, and conversations that are more humourous. For example, this morning when I insisted on helping, she asked if I was willing to peel onions again. The other morning I peeled a huge huge bowl of onions that she says she will use in a sauce on Thursday. It was funny because Fulco and Butje, two of the male staff members, came in the kitchen and left quickly as they both were in tears due to the onions. We suggested that the Spirit of God was very present in the kitchen as they were moved to tears when they entered. It was quite amusing. So today when Maria pulled out the onions, first I teased her and suggested that she was giving me only the tiny ones and she was saving the big ones for herself as they were easier. She laughed when she realized I was teasing her – she has a great sense of humour. Then I started talking about how my friends in Canada want to know what my mission in Moldova is. I said to Maria that I will write them and tell them that my mission is to peel onions, many, many onions. We both started laughing at the thought of how so many supporters are standing with me in my noble mission to peel onions! But then on a more serious note I said that whether I am peeling onions or whether she is making soup, we are indeed doing it for the Lord. And it’s true. Scripture says that whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, or peel onions or grate cabbage or stuff envelopes or pour concrete or change diapers or teach piano or fit pipes together, you should do it all to the glory of God. So, I am peeling onions and practicing Romanian at the same time, and developing a relationship with a beautiful and kind-hearted Moldovan woman. For now, that is my mission. Glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment