Thursday, August 03, 2006

If it’s Monday, this is Vienna

(a continuing description of our European travels)
And so we did arrive! The drive from Budapest to Vienna was like nothing compared to the first leg of our journey. In fact, as we drove westward, the roads had improved increasingly until the patchwork, unlined, pot-holed roads of Moldova and the construction-ridden routes
through the mountains of Romania were but a dim memory. The glory of the European Union is first seen in its roads and then in the ease of crossing borders.
Arriving in Vienna we found our way to the hotel and another reality struck me, that I had forgotten about: Austria’s language is German, one I once knew in my years of academia. By the end of the week I had refreshed my memory enough to use simple questions and sentences in shops, having sequestered my Romanian language skills to a backroom of my brain. (This is not an easy feat – the first couple days there were many sentences begun in German and finished in Romanian, resulting in a few odd looks.)
When we arrived we each made a list of what we wanted to se and do in Vienna. Oddly, all of us wanted to have the famous Sachertorte at the Hotel Sacher, so we did that at the beginning and at the end of our time.
It was a birthday party, after all!Couched in between those memorable chocolate experiences we toured the city, toured Schonbrunn Castle, saw Stephensdom. (Bev and I even went up the tower!) We also saw Belvedere – a castle and art gallery where Gustav Klint’s “The Kiss” is displayed. I saw some Rembrandt and Rubens at the Kunsthistoriche Muzeum (Museum of Art History); Bev explored the Vienna Woods, and Jenni also checked out some of the Art Nouveau. I think the highlight of our week was the Mozart concert we attended where the musicians were in period costume.
I also went to a concert at Stephansdom on Thursday evening to hear the Toronto Children’s Choir. They sounded beautiful and it was fun to say hello to Andrew afterwards, a youn man who was in my Sunday School back at Yorkminster Park Baptist Church in Toronto.
Our summation of Vienna is that it is a beautiful city but it’s really all about music (and art, too) not about buildings. And we just couldn’t seem to get enough music. (not cheaply anyway). It was fun sharing such a time in Vienna with my dear sister and niece. Early on Saturday morning I dropped Bev and Jenni at the Vienna airport and I continued solo on to Poland. Watch for my further adventures, coming soon….

Jenni & Nimrod discuss their favourite things about Vienna

No comments:

Post a Comment