Monday, April 13, 2009

One Fine Spring Day...




...in the midst of all the upheaval in the capital city, I went for a drive through the countryside. I was on my way to a village in the south to visit one of our teams there. I had with me a young woman from Austria who recently joined our team, as she was going to participate with that group. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and driving past the fields and blossoming fruit trees one almost could believe that all was well with the world. Moldova is a beautiful country. The team I was visiting was involved in a variety of work, including a program for children. I joined them for lunch, which started with fish soup. The guy across the table from me got the head, eyes and all! It's not easy pulling fish bones out of soup but I was glad I didn't get the head. The main course consisted of 'grutchka' (a barley-like grain served plain) with cabbage salad.
After lunch everyone went back outside in the warm sunshine. They played some games outside and then went inside for some songs and a puppet show.
Everyone was thoroughly enjoying the beautiful spring day.
With a 2-3 hour drive ahead of me, I left late in the afternoon and enjoyed driving back through this land where spring is such a glorious time.
Next week we will be celebrating Easter here, a week after the usual western Easter. I am thankful that we are able to help make sure that the children of Moldova are learning about more than spring in the country. They are learning about the Creator who made all this beauty. He is the One that can bring hope where there is so much despair, and peace where there is strife. Jesus can give new life to anyone who trusts Him, because He has overcome Death itself. Now that's something to celebrate! Have a blessed Easter and a glorious spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment