Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Big 90 Wahoo

Well, praise the Lord! I had the opportunity to go to Canada last week to see my mother. She has been in the hospital for over a month and has at least another 2 weeks to go before they expect to discharge her. But she is improving and is looking forward to going home. I was glad I went as I was really uncertain of what to expect in regards to her health. She seems to have been happy to see me and was also glad to be able to celebrate her 90th birthday! "I made it!!", she said, as she lifted her arms in victory! The hospital wasn't her first choice for location of the party but the fact that she achieved the 90 and that she was able to have a party seemed to be enough for her in her somewhat weakened condition. It was great to have friends there as well as relatives, including my aunt and cousins who drove from London, Ontario to join the celebration.

This is me and my aunt Audrey.>>>>

Mom cuts the cake! (hope the video works)

My son Ben and his girlfriend also celebrated with us. Another joy during my brief time in Canada was to spend time with my son Ben and to meet his girlfriend. They not only came to Mom/Grammy's birthday party but took me out to lunch the day I was leaving. Thanks, guys!







The day I left I also had breakfast with my brother Bob and his wife, who came from BC to see Mom. After breakfast we went to the hospital so I could say goodbye and pass Mom into their loving care for a few days. It was great to see you two!




God sends angels everywhere and some of the most wonderful angels go to my mother's church. Thelma and Jim helped to organize the birthday party but have been continually assisting with caring for my mom since they met her at church a couple years ago and found out they were related. There is another couple, Betty and Al, who also take it upon themselves to help care for Mom, visiting her and meeting whatever needs they are able. The minister of pastoral care at the church has also been very faithful to visit her. All these blessings mean so much to me and my siblings when we are unable to be as close to Mom as we would like. Whether we can be or not, we know that God is watching out for her. I look forward to seeing Mom in the summer when I go for a vacation, not a hospital visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment