Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Celebrating my 50th a world away

I am the youngest of four children in my family and I have watched each of my siblings go through the celebration of the big 5-0. Therefore, the reality is that for me I know it is probably a far safer thing to be on the other side of the world. After all, here I was treated very well by my team members, who surprised me with a celebration - complete with cake and gifts and flowers - at the end of our day of prayer and fasting. And at the beginning of the day they all gathered around and prayed for me, a very humbling experience - and I am so grateful to God for this place and for this team. I feel very loved today... in spite of the fact that they gave me some lovely headcoverings to wear! Here is a pic of a 'bunika' (grandmother) in Moldova!!


This morning we had opportunity to share testimonies and I have to tell you that as I look back at 50 years, I couldn't help but jump right to my feet to proclaim the faithfulness of God. He has seen me through sorrow and loss and struggles as a single parent and challenges of studying and working and moving a family and raising teenagers... he has been there in my loneliest moments and in my darkest valleys... he has provided for me - ABUNDANTLY - and has opened the doors of opportunity before me. He has surrounded me not only with His love, but with so many people who care about me and support me in very practical ways. He has blessed me with a wonderful family in both directions - my birth family and my children and son-in-law and GRANDson!!! He has given me His rich Word, that enriches my life and gives me direction, encouragement, and hope. He has given me a roof over my head and a job that challenges and fulfills me.
Yesterday I officially became department head so I have more responsibility than ever ... and carrying that out in a second language is a definite challenge. But this evening, as a group of my friends joined me in my tiny apartment, I gave thanks once more for the blessing of being here as a missionary and as part of an international team.
By the way, I will soon be moving. My rent was raised and so I will be house-sitting ( in a lovely large house!!) for the month of December, and then looking for an apartment probably with a friend in Jan-Feb.
Yes, this was a wonderful birthday... and more wonderful for all the blessings to which He has opened my eyes. Praise the Lord!!

No comments:

Post a Comment