Thursday, November 09, 2006

Where does time go...


...when you're not looking? I had an e-mail today from one of my faithful readers who gently reminded me that the last time I posted here I was sailing around BC. So, already here it is November 9 and I have been blogligent. (if they can make up words in Romanian, surely we can make them up in English!)
So, I guess I could try telling you my excuses, as that will fill you in on my last week and a half. Heavens! Is that all the time I've been home? Seems like ages since I left Canada. Other than a one-day stopover in Hungary for a conference on my way back to Moldova, nothing exciting has happened since I returned! The conference was the reunion of my Missionary training school last September - all the people who have been on the mission field for the past year get to have a couple of weeks together to debrief and get refreshed to begin the second year. It was good to see everyone, but because of all the time I have already missed, I was unable to stay.
Jet lag, meetings, e-mails, connecting with people, and preparing to take over responsibilities from my department head sometime this month. Well, that's kind of scary as our department is responsible for a lot of stuff. Personnel and Training includes member care for everyone on our team, everything related to recruiting from overseas and nationally, our training programs (Challenge into Missions 1 & 2, Global Action, Moldovans in World Mission, English, computer skills), social events for the team, our annual team retreat, and all the glorious things that go with all those things. Before Rafael leaves, I have to get the lowdown on all these things and be able to oversee the people responsible for each program. It will be challenging but very exciting.
This first full week back has been a challenge because we have had some special leaders' training days with a trainer from our international team. Here's a photo of our trainers (the two men behind me) and all the department heads. The days and input have been wonderful but it has meant we had to do all our regular work during lunch break and after hours. At the same time, our Challenge into Missions students are at the base for their study week. I was supposed to be teaching a session tomorrow on Knowing God's Will, but plans were changed so I have a reprieve. Nice because I needed more time to prepare!
The other challenge this week has been that my car was in the shop - needed some work on the transmission - so I have been travelling by rutiera and trolley bus. I was very happy to get my little Ford back yesterday. Sixteen years old but when everything is taken care of she runs very happily. Of course the days that were wintery cold were the days I was travelling by public transport!
I miss my grandson - and my daughter - but love to show everyone the photos of little Alejandro Isaac. So... here I am back home in Moldova... settling in. Sorry there really isn't too much to say. a view of my apartment building approaching from the parking lot

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:12 p.m.

    Hello - I enjoy reading your blog as it helps me to understand some of the culture in Moldova. I am one of the very fortunate parents who was able to adopt a child from Chisinau. Your observations of holidays such as Maristor and wedding and funeral rituals have been a real treat to read. I now have something more to share with my child about their birth country. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete