Sunday, December 03, 2006

On the Home Front

I know that a lot of my readers pray for me and also for my family. So I thought I’d share a few pics to give you a bit of an update. And thank you so much for your prayers.
First of all I should mention that my mother, at 87, is still going strong although her health has been more fragile this fall. She has had several hospital stays and eventually we all, including Mom, concluded that the time has come for her to move to a retirement home. Without having to wait very long at all, Mom was offered a room in a place where all her meals will be provided, nursing care is available, and the possibility exists that her husband Bob (who has Alzheimers and is in another care home) may eventually be able to stay in the same facility so she can visit him more easily. We are very thankful. So last week my sister Beverly and brother Brian drove to Hamilton from Fredericton to help Mom with her move. While she got settled into her new digs Bev and Brian got her house all sorted, emptied and cleaned with the help of other family members as well – no small task. Once that was all done, before Mom even had a week to get used to her new place, she went with them back to Fredericton for the Christmas season.
Here's Mom last Christmas in Fredericton with Bev and Brian and Brian's wife Debbie on the left.

I can hardly believe it is already December. But the pictures Marah sent me from Vancouver helped to convince me of the truth of the matter. Snow is unusual for Vancouver – but they have it! Here’s Marah and her husband Daniel and my little snowbunny Alejandro in their backyard.







My oldest son also lives in Vancouver. As you can see, he loves his new role as Uncle Josh. When he’s not busy being an uncle, he works as a behaviour interventionist with autistic children. Always did love kids, that one!






Ben continues to pursue his musical career in Toronto and although he hasn’t hit the top 10 charts yet, he had a ‘gig’ recently that he was excited about. Ben writes and sings his own songs, and I have been impressed by the ones he has shared with me. For employment, Ben works as a support worker at a homeless shelter, which is giving him a new perspective on the world.

I will have to say that one of the hardest things about being a missionary is missing out on the highs and lows of your own family life. I have been blessed to be able to go home not once but twice this year but consequently there won’t be any visits again until next fall when I have furlough. Marah is being faithful about sending photos of Ali but it’s not the same as holding him, or seeing his first smile, or watching him learn to crawl (well, no, not yet - but it won't be long!). Every time I see a small child here first I smile and then I wipe away a tear. So if you are a grandparent with your grandbabies nearby, know how blessed you are with every hug and every kiss. Give them lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment