Sunday, April 02, 2006

Stepping into Spring


Usually on the weekends I make an effort to get out and have a nice walk. Now that the time has changed and the spring weather is beginning to brighten the days, it’s easier and easier to go out and enjoy the wonderful warmth and sunshine. Another thing that makes it easier to go walking is having someone to walk with. When I was in Toronto, I had the blessing of my friend Inga who faithfully walked with me every week. And now God is bringing some new friends into my life, and walking is becoming more inviting once more.
Last week I went walking alone in the park across the street from my apartment. It was one of the first really ‘springy’ weekends and people were out to enjoy the weather, even though there was still a bit of ice left on the lake. I saw people walking dogs, babies in carriages, kids riding bikes, couples enjoying the sunshine, and kids even roller-blading even though there is no such thing as a smooth sidewalk in Chisinau!

This week my Scottish friend Melly called me and invited me to go walking on Saturday. Melly works for the United Nations and she and I connected through the International Women’s Club. We met each other for a walk a few weeks ago and then had dinner together one Friday night. Yesterday she brought another friend, Holly, for me to meet. Holly works for the American Embassy and she is from Alabama. That’s another whole interesting part of being in a foreign country, is being part of the expatriate community and meeting people from all over the world. And the thing about people who come to live in Moldova from somewhere else is that, generally speaking, they are people who are here because they want to do something to help the country of Moldova. So the three of us enjoyed a lovely time in the old botanical gardens of Chisinau.
Melly & Holly
You may remember me telling you about the custom of ‘martisor’ at the beginning of March. Women are given a red and white ribbon to wear in honour of spring, and the custom is that they hang the ribbon on a tree .
at the end of March and the tree is supposed to bear abundant fruit (or something like that). Anyway in the park we saw a bush with a marisor hung on it. I thought that was pretty cool and of course, took a picture Here’s another interesting thing about meeting other expatriates – not everyone has learned the same language to be here. For example, Holly speaks Russian and I speak Romanian. Melly is here only on temporary assignment so she manages fairly well with only English to get by on. I have decided, though, to start at least learning Russian numbers so that when someone tells me the price of something I’ll be able to understand!
So spring has begun, shoots are breaking through the earth, people are cleaning up yards and painting fences and trims, brightly painted playground equipment was installed next to my apartment building, buds are forming on the trees and life is getting ready to burst forth. I can’t say I’ll be sad to say goodbye to winter. Already the brightness and beauty of spring has lifted my spirits and the prospect of a visit from my daughter contributes to that same lifting of the spirit. She’s coming in 11 days. Ask me how excited I am! I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring season as well.

Melly & Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment