Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ten Days in Canada

A bit about my trip: I stopped in Toronto for a few days en route to Vancouver, much to the surprise of many of my friends. But that gave me a wonderful opportunity to see some of the people who are so special to me. I had a lovely day to spend with my mother, and then a day with my son Ben, who helped me in my storage locker to find the things that I have really wanted to have with me here in Moldova. Surprising Doug & Jane on their 50th wedding anniversary was fantastic,
and showing up at my church on Sunday to be welcomed by lots of hugs and kind words, was also fantastic. And lunch with “the girls” on Saturday was really fun as they had no idea I was in town. I felt very loved and appreciated after my time with them and I was so blessed by the hospitality of my good friends Harold and Heather. I also got to see Sarah, who was here in Moldova last summer, and she loaded me up with Canadiana gifts to bring back to the dear ones here. They have been distributed, appreciated and our friends send salutare, Sarah. Domnul sa te binecuvinteze! In fact, last evening at our prayer meeting I led the second half and made a presentation about Canada so everyone prayed for Canada, (I read your letter as promised, Sarah, and we prayed for you) and they all received gifts from Canada. We also prayed for the mission team who will be coming from YP next summer... and for every province and territory of Canada!
So, how was the wedding, you ask? It was wonderful! My week in Vancouver absolutely whipped past, but not without some great times with family and friends. Just to see Josh again after a whole year was so special – and he is doing well. And to have my family all together - the joy of every mother's heart! Visiting with my brother Bob and his wife Jan was great. They not only had us for a meal on their boat one lovely evening, but they also hosted the wedding rehearsal party in their lovely backyard. Of course, the wedding rehearsal went longer than expected (they always do!) and Marah and I and our passengers were late – and we had the burgers for barbecuing!- but nobody was too upset. By then we had friends Eric & Vicki from Nova Scotia, Karen from Toronto, Marah’s high school friends from Toronto, and cousins Kelly and Christa from northern BC all with us,
as well as Dan’s mother Susanah who had arrived from Spain, so it was quite a gathering. I love weddings for the opportunity to bring family and friends together – where there is always laughter and love and caring.
The hero of the week, in my mind (apart from the lovely bride) was cousin Jenn.(Second from the left in this photo of the Fuller cousins.) She was the one to call if we needed information, help, or someone to get something done. Jenn is the woman! She said at the wedding reception that she has adopted my kids – even feeds them!! She has been a tremendous support for Marah ever since Marah moved to Vancouver and this week I saw how amazing she is. Thank you, Jenn!!
The day of the wedding went by pretty fast. The afternoon was spent at the hair salon and by the time we were ready to head out time was disappearing quickly. Finally on the way to the hotel to get dressed and go to the church, Marah got a phone call from Eric reminding her to bring the marriage license! “Mom, we have to go back!”… so we turned around and went back. Long and short of it is that the guests were invited to a 6.30 pm wedding that started at 7 pm. Not bad, I say. (But I won’t tell you all the things that were not done until the absolute last minute!)
At the reception, Ben had his debut as Master of Ceremonies, even gracing us all with a performance of two of the songs he has written. The DJ had great music and there was lots of dancing… just a nice evening. Marah was beautiful. What can I say? As a bride, she had handled the whole week very well – not stressing out unnecessarily, enjoying the people who had come to visit, and getting done the things that were absolutely essential. I was/am really proud of her. Dan is blessed to have her by his side. Dan was a quiet encouragement too – being the steady, laid back, easy-going guy that he is. And I think and pray that Marah and Dan will be very happy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment