Monday, February 13, 2006

The Hand of a Stranger

It could be that the February blahs are setting in. It could be that I’m just tired of riding rutieras. It could be that living in a language fog is getting to me. It could be that I’m just tired. But there it is. I’m so tired that I’m finding it hard to stand on my own two feet. But I have learned the existential meaning of “am cazut”. On Saturday as I headed out for my Saturday morning walk, I gingerly picked my way along the snow-covered ice of the driveway from my apartment building, but it wasn’t gingerly enough! All of a sudden, my feet went out from under me and - whoops! – am cazut!! My tailbone still smarts from time to time. The problem in Moldova, though, is that it’s not only ice that can cause a fall. Someone had the brilliant idea to use lovely marble-like stone for the walkway in front of some buildings (including the OM Centre). In the summer, it is lovely and smooth and makes walking very easy, but in winter it is deadly – with a bit of snow it’s like a skating rink. But so far I have managed to stay upright on these surfaces. Then there’s the rutieras and trolley-buses – a sudden stop or a sharp turn can cause the most seasoned traveller to go tumbling in someone’s lap. So far I have mostly avoided that (there may have been a few close calls). But then there is the general state of any given walkway or sidewalk. They are often uneven, sometimes manhole covers are missing and if it’s dark you could go down the hole. This evening as I walked through the underground tunnel to my bus stop I was thinking of how slippery the slushy underground walkway was and how amazing it was that I had survived so many times going up and down the snowy inadequately cleared stairway. In my pondering, I failed to notice the grate that was slightly off-kilter along the path, until suddenly I found myself more than off-kilter – am cazut!! – again!....How embarrassing – it wasn’t even icy – I just mis-stepped and went down on the slushy dirty underground walkway. A passing soldier kindly gave me a hand to help me up, and I limped away with an embarrassed but grateful ‘multumesc’. I had only walked a short distance and suddenly I encountered some of my OM friends, smiling and greeting me. I felt surrounded by these caring friends, who noticed the dirt on my coat and heard my sad tale of toppling, and expressed their sympathy and concern for me. It felt good to tell about what had happened and to have those moments of interaction with friends. It gave me time to regroup and remind myself that I am just another weak human being, still loved and cared for in spite of my foibles.
Yes, it could be that I am just tired. Too tired to endure many more of such surprises. I should be grateful, though. Recently I have had two good friends whose falls on the ice have resulted in far more serious consequences than a bumped knee, a sore tailbone, or a red face. Life is like that – you may be going along with everything according to plan or expectations but then suddenly the ground goes out from beneath you. No matter how confident you were, how carefully you sought to avoid any kind of danger…there are times when life takes us by surprise and leaves us fallen and hurt. It’s times like that that we need the hand of a kind stranger or the concerned face of a familiar friend to remind us that we are not alone. Never alone. I am so thankful that God ‘sets the solitary in families’. And families endure across time and distance in a way that is beyond explanation.
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day – the day of love. Sure, I’d like to have a love of my own, a sweetheart – but I have survived many Feb. 14th’s without one and each year I appreciate more and more the incredible variety of love God has placed in my life. I am loved. Here in Moldova I have a family in our OM team. Back in Toronto, I have an incredibly supportive and caring church family. And spread across Canada I have three of the most wonderful children as well as many other family members who care for me and tell me so. There is no lack of love in my life this Valentine’s Day. I pray that it is the same for you. When the ground goes out from under you, may there always be familiar faces to express their concern and offer their assistance. And even if the faces are not familiar, may you always know that the stranger’s hand that helps you up is no stranger at all.
When I said, “My foot is slipping”, your love, O Lord, supported me.
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment