Sunday, December 11, 2005

A Se Muta

Well, that’s the infinitive of the verb that means ‘to move house’. The wonderful thing about immersion language learning is that as soon as you learn a word, you do it… or as soon as you do something, you find yourself having to learn the word that communicates what it is you are doing. So this week I am learning the verb, ‘a se muta’. It’s reflexive. Eu ma mut, tu te muti, el se muta, noi ne mutem, voi va muteti, ei se mut... and if you are having trouble reading or understanding that it’s because I don’t know how to make the proper pronunciation marks for Romanian words – or it’s because you don’t know Romanian!
So why am I learning this particular verb, you may ask? I have a good reason – because in fact I am moving. This week we (Liuba and I – well, Liuba did most of the work; I just went along for the ride and the end result!) found an apartment for me and I will be moving on Saturday, Lord willing and if Lillian is available to help me. Not that I have a lot to move. There are the two suitcases I brought with me, plus a couple books I may have added and some organizing things for my desk. Other than that, all I have is my backpack with my computer...

OK – since I wrote the above, I have in fact moved. Lillian (a guy on my OM team) came to get me yesterday and he and I were able to take everything up the four flights of stairs in two trips. He, of course, carried the suitcases, and I carried the assorted other bags, boots, and book-filled basins. I now live in a section of Chisinau known as Botanica. I am on the fourth floor of a typical Chisinau apartment block, which means there are two thick doors to get into my apartment and an interesting locking system that I keep hoping will not prevent me from getting in each time I make a foray outside of the building. It also has an enclosed balcony from which I can hang my clothes to dry and in which I can hang them if the weather is inclement. There are also cupboards on each side of the balcony which can serve as pantry, which is good as there is minimal cupboard space in the tiny kitchen. Hanging clothes is a wonder to enjoy especially when you have a washing machine of your own. Until now, except for the two times Sora Lena did laundry for me, I have been doing most of my washing by hand. Now I have a machine that will do it for me – a new one that works well. Never mind that east European washers take two hours or more for their cycle. (A fact I discovered to my chagrin when I was in Czech Republic last year and went to the laundry room thinking I would be in and out of there in an hour or so – ha!!) When it’s in your own kitchen, it’s not so bad.
The apartment is mostly furnished but I will need to purchase a desk which will fit quite nicely in my bedroom. I guess I will also need a small dresser, as there is no place in the bedroom to put clothes. In the living room there is a huge piece of furniture – I don’t even know what it’s called in English
but you know what I mean; it takes up one whole wall, with cupboards, drawers, display cabinets, bookshelves and more cupboards. So it’s great – for now I can put everything away in there.Here's a couple more photos of my little kitchen and my bathroom, just so you all will know I will be clean and fed! Notice the gas stove in the kitchen... will have to practice lighting matches... and not sure how I will do with baking but it should be fun! And you will notice the hot water tank above the bathtub.. there is central hot water, but in case it isn't working or something, I am to plug in the hot water heater and in 3 hours I will have hot water. (This is assuming of course, that the electricity is on - which nobody seems to think is a problem, so hopefully it won't be!)

The one thing that is very important for me is to be able to get internet access here. So far it’s a bit of a problem as there isn’t a proper telephone outlet I can simply plug my computer into. As I write this, however, the landlord is here working on the wiring in typical do-it-yourself Moldovan fashion. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned that Moldovans are very innovative people who seem to work mostly on a ‘figure-it-out-as-you-go-along’ philosophy. They can build or do just about anything, it seems, but the end result is not always in keeping with our western sense of normality. Sometimes, ok, often, you find stairways with one huge step at the top or the bottom. Or, holes in the wall, where someone had to do some plumbing after the toilet was installed, etc. etc.
The fact that you are reading this now is an indication that my landlord was successful in his attempts and I am now able to access the internet from the comfort and convenience of my own home.
And Inga!!! I have to tell you this - God is so good. Guess what is right across the street from my apartment building? A huge and beautiful park where people go for their Sunday afternoon walks like I did today. I have a wonderful place to walk right at hand - isn't that awesome?
It’s nice to have my own home after so much time on the move. And I am glad to get settled this week as next week I will be going away for my ‘village experience’ in a small, poor rural community in the south of Moldova. So don’t expect to hear from me for a bit, until I get back.
Thanks to all those who have sent parcels – they have started to arrive – one from Mom , another from my sister Bev, and from Jane and from Doris… such interesting experiences at the post office! The weather is beautiful and just today starting to get a bit nippy. There aren’t many Christmas lights in Moldova except for a couple of stores. I have also seen some chintzy decorations at the market. I hope to find something that I can now put up in my apartment to make it feel like Christmas. Just looked at my calendar and realized that today is the third Sunday in Advent – hard to believe!
I think they’ve already done the children’s Christmas play at Yorkminster Park, and my mom and son and niece had a mini-Christmas at Mom’s place yesterday. I think what I will do to invoke some sense of the season is to have a celebration – combining a Christmas and house-warming party. I’ll let you know how it goes!
. .

No comments:

Post a Comment