Monday, December 26, 2005

On the Edges of Christmas



Well, I will have to say that this was the most relaxed Christmas I have had in at least the last eight years! Instead of being in the middle of everything, as in organizing church events, cooking for my family and shopping for and wrapping gifts, mailing Christmas cards, etc. etc. – instead of all that, I was on the edge of all activities, helping occasionally but mostly just looking on. No stress. No fuss. A very unusual Christmas indeed! But a nice one.

The week before Christmas I was in Paicu and while there, I watched the children of the church preparing for their Christmas presentation. A woman from another village had come for the week, with her accordion, to work with the children and teach them the songs they would sing on Christmas day. I enjoyed listening to the children practice their songs – and not being responsible!
The evening before I left Paicu, I helped Tamara and Tanea to assemble treat bags for the children
– and I thought of the many times I had done the same for the children at Yorkminster Park. This year, I was not in charge – and how relaxing it was!



On Friday evening our Operation Mobilisation team – all 40 of us, including children- went out to a restaurant for dinner and had a really nice meal.

Following that we went back to the centre for a time of fellowship and gift exchange. The children sang some songs for us and gave some recitations - such beautiful kids! We had each bought a gift and put it under the tree, and then we opened them in an activity that allowed for people to trade gifts – it was a lot of fun and some hilarious moments kept us laughing. Two of the gifts were sets of boxing gloves and when Jeannine got a pair, her husband Fulco quickly took the opportunity to trade his gift for the other pair - but not before Jeanine and Snejana did some sparring! I ended up with a set of glasses, which I really needed for my new apartment.The whole evening was a really wonderful family event. And in the whole Christmas season, there hasn’t been the anxiety about getting a present for everyone and spending money to ensure nobody is forgotten. That has been relaxing.

My Romanian friend/surrogate daughter, Dana, came home with me on Friday and spent the weekend with me so neither of us had to be alone at Christmas. Saturday we spent buying groceries and baking for the potluck we would attend on Sunday.
We had a great time together, chatting and talking and laughing all day.
Then on Sunday we went to church together and then to Matthew and Helen’s place for dinner with a dozen people, mostly from the team. (Here is a picture of me and baby Filip – Rafael & Alice’s little guy - with the bath toy I gave him for Christmas. After all, I am his favourite auntie!) It was a really nice day. In the evening I spoke on the phone with my kids and my mom and sister and her family, so that was a nice ending to a stress-free, relaxed Christmas. I know there won’t be many Christmases ‘on the edge’, but this one was certainly a blessing from the Lord.

As far as Christmas in Chisinau... there are some people who celebrate on the 25th, such as the protestant churches. But around the city it is a day like any other with business as usual. I suppose it's somewhat like it was in Bethlehem, all those years ago. There is nothing to indicate that in a stable on the edge of the town, a new King was born and a new Kingdom was ushered in that would change the course of many lives, and the course of human history. Nothing that is, except some crazy shepherds who said they had a message from God brought by angels... and then some foreigners who followed a star to that distant land to find the king. I, too, am a foreigner, seeking to serve my King in a distant land. And I am so thankful that God has come to us in Jesus Christ,who is also called Emmanuel, which means, "God with us."

I wish all my readers a most blessed holiday season and a new year bright with the promises of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment