Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Here at last!!



Dear friends,
Thank you so much for continuing to follow me on my journey. I arrived here safely on Monday morning and watched the miracle of the taxicab as Rafael, our team leader, met us at the train station. He proceeded to take all our luggage (for which we had to pay for an extra berth on the train) and directed the cab driver to load it in his small station wagon. I wish I had the opportunity to take a picture of all these huge suitcases, a guitar (Claudia's) each of us with knapsacks in our lap, 3 of us squashed in the back seat and Rafael holding the guitar in the front seat next to the cabbie. I wouldn't have believed it was possible. Praise God!
Anyway, the train trip was long but uneventful. It was great to have Dana helping us with Romanian translation, and we had a long layover in Bucharest but it was very wet and rainy. Nevertheless we walked to the People's Palace during a lull in the rain and I was very moved to be at that historical place, remembering well the events of 1989.
Me and Claudia, People's Palace - Bucharest, Romania
Then we were on another sleeper to Chisenau, no problems at the border and even got some sleep. It is fall in Moldova and we could see people working in the fields as we travelled through. Very few tractors. Mostly people working by hand - saw some donkeys and carts too. I will probably spend a week in a village sometime in November or December.
Meanwhile, I will stay here at the OM Centre for a week and then move in with a family in Chisenau for 3 months to learn the language. That is obviously an imperative and at last nights prayer meeting they were interepreting for me but everyone else here does speak Romanian, including the other 'foreigners' (Dutch, British, and Brazilian) who have learned it since they came. I will receive lessons each day and Soara Maria, the cook, will be my language 'helper'.
It is interesting to truly be a 'foreigner' (which is the meaning of my name) for the first time in my life. Pray that I will soon feel at home here.
Computer access is very limited so please keep sending e-mails and I will write or blog when I can.
Oh, yes, I must tell you that I was warmly greeted by everyone here but especially by my fellow Canadian, Sarah, who has been here for three months and goes home soon. What a gift her huge hug was on my arrival!
Now, in case I don't get a chance to get on line again before the weekend, Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends! Be assured that I am extremely thankful. God has brought me here safely and I am continuing to thank Him for your support and love and prayers. Don't stop now. Pray for me to learn this language, especially that I can figure out how to roll my r's.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 p.m.

    HiBarb,

    So glad you made it safe and sound. Best of luck with your language lessons. The r's are easy to roll - you will do spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:36 a.m.

    Barb, I'm SOOOO glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. I know you'll do just fine with the language lessons. I can't fully fathom what it would be like to be a true foreigner since I have never been in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, glad to hear you made it alright. After reading the book I gave you, does any of it look familiar?!

    Brooke and I have been taking Spanish, and our teacher said a good way to learn to roll your 'rrrr's is to put a pencil under your tongue. Not sure if that will help, but it's one idea!

    Keep blogging, it's great to hear how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete