Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Whining and Dining

I know I shouldn't whine about the number of opportunities I am having to dine with dear friends. But when it gets to the point that one is scheduled for a social engagement at three out of three meals in a day, it's hard to find time in between to breathe, let alone pack or work! However, I bite the bullet (figuratively speaking) and truly am enjoying some wonderful meals with wonderful people. Presumably upon arrival in Moldova, food will not be as plentiful, or as loaded with 'bad' cholestorol! At any rate, there is something sacramental about sharing food and drink at table with a friend and some wonderful memories are being created in these last few weeks. Thank you to every person who is sharing their time, their encouragement and their loving support with me over a delicious meal! It also alleviates the loneliness of being a first-time empty-nester.
In between meals today I had a chance to pop into Chapters and pick up a map of Holland, so that I will have some clue of where I am when I go there on August 22nd for the Operation Mobilization 'GO' conference (an orientation). I also picked up a Romanian phrase book so that I can begin to develop some minimal sense of the language. There is a Romanian lady who works at the restaurant where my daughter used to work. We 're going there after church on Sunday (my last Sunday) - so I might surprise her with a greeting in Romanian. What are the chances I'll get the pronunciation correct? "We" includes my daughter, Marah, who is coming home from Vancouver for a visit before I leave, and her boyfriend, whom she is bringing home for me to meet. Hmmm...
There is also, I have heard, a Moldovan restaurant here in Toronto. I do hope to dine there sometime soon to develop some sense of what I might expect to eat in Moldova. Will it be cabbage and rice as some suggest?

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how food represents culture so strongly. I remember our Poland Team meal at Staropolska and it did give us a small idea of what to expect in Poland. By the way, did you start the book yet? :)

    ReplyDelete