Saturday, October 04, 2008

Rhine Cruise

When I was a kid, my mother went on her first trip to Europe. I remember when she came back that one of the highlights she remembered was a cruise on the Rhine river. She spoke and showed us photos of the castles and vineyards and told us about the legend of the Lorelei. (See http://www.loreley-rhine.com/) The pictures of the castles captured my youthful imagination and ever since, I have wanted to see the castles along the Rhine river valley. This week I finally had my chance, and had a lovely time cruising down the Rhine river on a vacation day I took on the way home from a training forum in Belgium.












An optional part of the trip was a ride down the moutain on a chair lift with a spectacular view. Those are vineyards you see in tiers on the hillside.It was a bit scary but I was glad I went!
One of the really wonderful things about this trip was the timing. Being October, the leaves are at their peak of changing colours and it really was so beautiful to see them! It reminded me a lot of my beloved Canada and the beauty that always surrounds us in the fall as God's paintbrush splashes spectacular colours among the trees. I was very grateful for this relaxing day of rest in the middle of a busy fall season.




No comments:

Post a Comment