Monday, September 29, 2008

Reluctant Angels

Every once in a while God sends us a reluctant angel. At least, I had one last week. It happened when I was on my way home from work on a day that was one of a week of just about everything going wrong. As I drove down the hill not far from my apartment block there was a strange sound. I wondered why the street was making this strange new sound and then it occurred to me that possibly it was me.... like the tire slapping against the pavement. My worst suspicion was confirmed as I pulled up to the stoplight and a guy walked over pointing to my tire. Oh-oh> it was a flat tire. I pulled over (across a lane of traffic) and pulled around the corner. I drove the car slowly and carefully to a spot behind another car which also seemed to be in distress. The guy had the hood of the engine up and was standing there in his black leather jacket, white turtle-neck and pointed shiny shoes, apparently waiting for someone to come and help him with whatever his car trouble was. I opened the trunk, took out the spare tire and the jack and set about looking confused, helpless and open for offers of assistance. It took a direct hit on my part for me to finally ask the nice man if he could help me change the tire. (I could have done it but it has been years and years since i have changed a tire and also I was wearing my good clothes.) So he did it, all the while looking over his shoulder to see if his help had arrived. Once the tire was on the car, it too looked a bit low. Next thing I knew, the nice man went and got a gadget out of his car, which he connected to my battery and then used to fill my tire with air - very cool! I thanked him profusely and he barely said a word and hardly cracked a smile the whole time. Once fixed, I was on my way home, thinking all the while about how this guy had been a reluctant angel and doing all I could do for him - praying God's blessing in his life.
Of course, it's not just reluctant angels that God has sent my way. The other evening I had some of my team members over to my house, including the new recruits. We walked in the door, planning to cook supper for them all (there were 8), only to discover that my power had been turned off. (Another long story, but it's related to a non-payment of a bill) One of my angels - male team member - did everything he could for me to find out what had happened and then to find out where to go and even offering to go to the place the next day and take care of the problem. So meanwhile, we cooked hamburgers and french fries on the gas stove and visited by candlelight. I made frosting for the chocolate cake that I had fortunately finished baking in my electric oven that morning before the power went off. Here is Eugen licking the spoon as Aurica looks on. The flash was bright but in actuality this was my kitchen in darkness aside from a candle! I am so thankful for all the reluctant (and willing) angels, who bring so much light and encouragement into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment