Sunday, January 15, 2006

Small Pleasures

Last night Dana and I went to an English movie. OK, it's true that there are frequently English movies on the TV in between the Russian and Romanian news and an occasional French movie on the Eurovision channel. But there's something about going out to a movie with a friend that's just nice. And Dana was kind enough to buy popcorn for us while she was waiting for me at the Stefan Cel Mare statue (because I was late, if you can imagine that!). The popcorn they sell on the street here in Chisinau is as good as any movie theatre popcorn and way, way cheaper - like about 10cents (1 leu) for just the right amount for one person. The movie is shown in an upstairs room that I would never have found by myself, but the seats are very comfortable, the screen is big and the six of us who were there enjoyed the movie, which was a romantic comedy I hadn't seen before. Then we went out for supper and just had a very pleasant Saturday evening. So, folks, this is life in Chisinau!
What else exciting has been happening? Well, not a lot, which is why I haven't written too much on my blog recently. The most exciting thing this past week was receiving four of my Christmas parcels in the mail finally! My dear sister sent me what amounted to "Christmas in a Box", complete with warm polar fleece pajamas that keep me cozy at night. And there was a parcel from my niece as well, with cozy warm socks!And dear Susan Carlen sent me a care package of Second Cup treats - oh, how I miss Second Cup!! So in case anyone is still thinking I'm cold, I'm not! I have coffee,hot chocolate,warm PJ's, and warm socks! Life is good!
So trying to think what else to blog about I realize that I didn't have time to tell you about some of the things that happened before Christmas. Matthew and Helen were moving into their newly built house a week before Christmas (brave souls!). They gave us a wonderful opportunity to spend a work day in manual labour instead of at the office when they invited the whole team to come and paint the rooms of their house. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun. I've got a couple pictures but for some reason I can't post them right now. So... I'll leave it for now and try again soon. Sorry, folks! Matthew and Helen's three daughters were given the opportunity to do some painting in their own rooms before others finished the painting. It was very cute. The girls are expecting a new little sibling in March and will be returning to England with their parents to await the baby's arrival. I won't tell you what colour they painted the baby's room. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment